Make your own energy bars
Energy bars are the best snacks to pack in your gym bag. Energy bars are great as a snack because of the proteins and fibre in them. These are very healthy and can boost your energy when exercising or going on a bike trip or hike.
The following are three energy bars you can make at home.
Apricot and cashew energy bars:
- Cut dried apricots into small pieces, add cashew pieces, coconut, rolled oats, and hemp seeds.
- Mix all the ingredients together. Add honey – enough to moisten the mixture.
- Pat the mixture onto a cookie sheet. Cut into the desired shape and size.
- Place the cookie sheet into the freezer.
- When frozen, wrap each bar in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
Chocolate, almond and cashew energy bars:
- Cut up some dates, cashews and almonds. Mix in some cocoa powder and coconut. Add vanilla extract and a pinch of salt.
- Make sure that dates are moist. If moist dates are not available, then soak them in water overnight.
- Mix all ingredients in a crusher thoroughly. Add some water to make a dough.
- Shape the dough in small square shapes and place them on a cookie sheet. Place in the freezer for one hour.
- Wrap each bar in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.
Apple cinnamon energy bars:
- Cut up some dates and apple into small pieces. Add some cinnamon and rolled oats. You can add a pinch of salt too. If you want them a little bit spicy, you can add some ginger too.
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly.
- Pat the mixture onto a cookie sheet and cut into bars.
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees.
- Bake the bars for 20 minutes.
- Cool the bars and wrap them individually in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.